Deep Water vs. Shallow Water
Deep water may be used for people who:
1. Are non weight-bearing.
2. Are unable to tolerate weight bearing secondary to pain, inflammation, and swelling.
3. Need lumbo-pelvic stability exercises in a vertical position.
Shallow water may be used for people who:
1. Are fearful of deep water.
2. Can benefit from buoyancy assisted gait training, for decreased http://onhealthy.net weight bearing.
3. Can tolerate only approximately 50% weight-bearing activities, or have partial weight-bearing restrictions.
4. Have balance and coordination problems and are unsafe in deep water.
Some people progress from deep water, to shallow water, to land based programs. Laura says, “I usually recommend an integrated program of land and water exercises. “